SDA Style Kellogg's Special K, Cottage Cheese Loaf
Original recipe by Amy Higner : submitted and modified by William McMiller
- 1/4 Cup Butter or Margarine (or 2 Tbsp olive oil)
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 1 Onion
- 2 Stalks of Celery
- 2 Tablespoons of an SDA-style Vegetarian Stock like McKay’s Seasoning, Broth, or Worthington Gravy
- 1 Tablespoon of Soy Sauce or “Gravy Master”
- 3 Beaten Eggs (for vegan, see substitute below.)
- 1/4 Cup of Milk (for vegan, use soy, almond or rice milk)
- 1 Cup of Cottage Cheese -small curd is creamier. (for vegan, see substitute below.)
- 3-5 Cups of Kellogg’s Special K Cereal. (crush the cereal, but not finely)
- 1/4 Cup Pecan Meal, Ground Fine (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Heat the butter or margarine (or olive oil) in a pan
- Sauté the garlic and onions until cooked
- Add the celery to the pan and sauté until soft
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl
- Add the sautéed vegetables to the bowl
- Let the cereal get a little soggy (about 5 minutes)
- Place in a generously greased baking pan. It should be 1″-3″ deep. Do not pack. In fact, use a fork to make it fluffy.
- Bake at the top rack for 1 - 1 1/2 hour(s). 40- 55 mins covered and 20-35 mins uncovered, this makes nice crust on top and along edges. Time is variable, so watch your loaf for the final 15 minutes.
- Cut the loaf into 2″ x 2″ squares
You can vary the recipe greatly and it usually turns out great. Sometimes use onion powder instead of onion. You can use corn flakes but the taste isn’t as good. I have tried with tofu as well. I prefer cottage cheese but tofu will work. And stoneware pans are the best for crunchy casserole. You can make the mixture the night before, refrigerate it, and then bake it the next day.
Vegan Special K Loaf
- You can substitute flax seed in place of the eggs, it works great! 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed (you can grind in blender until powderish) + 3 tbsp of water, whiz in the blender together until gets kind of thickish like an egg, and then put in whatever you are making. So much better for you than eggs too!
- I found a recipe for making vegan cottage cheese using tofu. It might work for the recipe. I haven’t personally tried it but here you go:
1 lb medium-firm tofu, mashed coarsely and drained
2/3 cup firm or extra-firm SILKEN tofu
1 Tbs lemon juice
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar or alternate
Sprinkle 1/2 tsp. of the salt on the mashed tofu in a medium bowl. In the food processor mix the silken tofu, remaining salt, sugar and lemon juice until VERY smooth. Scoop into the bowl with the mashed tofu and mix gently. Refrigerate.
Yield: 2 and 1/2 c
After 45 - 60 minutes in the Oven, you can put a thin layer of ketchup or BBQ sauce, sprinkle over a sparse layer of brown sugar and then Top with Slices of Stripples. Cook till the Stripples are nice and crispy. It adds an excellent dimension to the loaf.
QUICK AND EASY VEGETARIAN'S SPECIAL K LOAF
5 c. Special K cereal
5 eggs, beaten
1 c. chopped walnuts
1 lg. carton cottage cheese
2 tbsp. McKay chicken seasoning or onion soup mix
1 lg. onion, chopped
Chopped celery, if desired
Saute onion in 1/4 cube butter. Mix all ingredients together and turn into oiled loaf pan. Bake 45 minutes. Freezes well. To serve after freezing, reheat in oven 20 minutes.