Our Story

It was in 1958 when Sister Etta Bethel Bowles, following the leading of her heavenly Father started a storytelling hour that became a Branch Sabbath School and now our Mt. Pisgah Seventh-Day Adventist Church.

In 1960, a small group of worshipers formed and began holding services in the garage of Brother James and Sister Marie Bethel. Brother Bethel became the “First Elder”. In 1962 as the congregation increased they purchased land to build a church home. It was during this time that Sister Marie Bethel suggested the name Mt.Pisgah for the church congregation and it was unanimously agreed on. Brother Morris Reed, (the brother of the late Martha Holston-Lee) generously donated the first windows and pews. Later there was another donation of church furniture by the “Mt Pisgah Five” and the Board of Deaconess.

The first service in the original sanctuary building was held on September 25, 1965. The membership of Mt Pisgah has continued grow rapidly, and it became evident that it was time to expand to a larger building. In 1993, a ground breaking ceremony was held and construction began early in 1994, to build the present church building. Once the building was complete there was a week long celebration for grand opening and dedication of the new sanctuary building September 20-27, 1997. Over 50 years after that original storytelling hour we are still growing, and are looking to continue the commission of our Master and the vision of our founders of sharing the good news of salvation to those in our neighborhood.